Diving Into Social Activism
Continueing the conversations regarding online activisim, I dove into Pinterest to see what the platform had to offer. Upon first search I was pleased that the results included a balance of educational content and powerful visuals. I found that the staples of online activism include:
- Campaigning
- Petitions
- Raising Awareness
- Hashtag Movements
- Community Building
As an educator, we can teach students about onlline activism by:
- Introducing Key Concepts
- Analyze Case Studies
- Discuss Digital Literacy
- Encourage Critical Thinking
- Facilitate Reflection
- Highlight Inclusivity
We have to explain what online activisim is and its significance in social change to students. Analyzing case studies allows for students to see how real-life examples of successful online movements (#BlackLivesMatter, #MeToo) and their strategies can be impactful. Students must be able to evaluate sources, identify misinformation, and understand the implication of online actions in order to adequetly understand and participate in online activism. Finally, highlighting inclusivity shows the importance of diverse voices and perspectives in activism, ensuring all students feel represented.
I agree that teaching student about activism is important and should be included in a digital literacy curriculum. It is extremely easy to become passionate about a cause it aligns with your beliefs. However, it can be harmful for the individual if they cannot identify false ones.
ReplyDelete