#TagYoureIt
Learning about folksonomy was the act of finally putting a name to the process of tagging I was used to seeing in social media. As a class we engage in folksonomy using #eme6414 on varying social media sites. When viewing this tag I am able to look at the collection of information and knowledge from my classmates now and in the past. I like viewing students work who have already completed #eme6414 on social media, because it gives me a guide to completing assignments. I see how this can be a powerful tool in higher education, but I'm curious how it could be successfully transfered into secondary education. Folksonomy shows the dynamic nature of knowledge that cannot be easily collected within the pages of a physical book or library. Folksonomy allows a collaborative, democratic, intercultural system for dissemenating knowledge and information. I have long been a patron of folksonomy, be it checking out #StanleyCup playoff memes (I'll be rooting for the Panthers now that my Dallas Stars are out) or looking for inspiration on #TeacherTok.
For all the good tagging brings to knowledge acquistion, it's open access allows for intetional and unintentional use of inaccurate or inappropriate tags while sharing content. It also can lead to misunderstanding depending on the context of the tag. For example, searching #StanleyCup on Twitter/X provides you with all think NHL, hockey, and Stanley Cup Playoffs information. Where as searching #StanleyCup on Tik Tok provides you with endless video hauls and rankings of the latest Stanley Cup Tumbler.
Check out the pictures below for evidence of my research:
No comments:
Post a Comment