Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Week 10 Post 1

Activism Online

When I saw we were discussing online activisim and digital citizenship this week my mind immediately took a flashback to 2020 in the midst of the pandemic. This was a huuuuuge time for activism, specifically online, as it was in the midst of an infographic avalanche regardinging COVID1-9 safety precautions and the #BlackLivesMatter movement. Everyone was at home and therefore had more time online and on their phones. In my personal experience, I learned so much from the various infographics I came accross and remember reposting a majority of them across all of my social media platforms for the safety of my friends, family, and students. When doing more research regarding the topic for this week I cam across this Tik Tok conversation begging the question: Is social media activism effective? Why or why not?

@theconversationalist Is social media activism effective? Why or why not? #povz #theconversationalist #genz #talkshow #pov #socialmedia #activism ♬ original sound - The Conversationalist

The key points I gathered from this video was that infographic activism was on the rise during pandemic, do to the fact that it is a lot easier to post content for 2.5K followers than it is to knock on 2,500 doors. However, the contributors to the video note that it can be extremely dangerous to believe what is seen online at face value, so you must do you're on research, prior to making decisions. My favorite quote from the video is

"The infographic might be cute but that doesn't mean that's what you should be thinking." 

As simple as this quote sounds. It is the same instinct we should be educating young people online about. As a middle school teacher, after major events or pop culture trends, students will come to the classroom regurgitating what they've seen, heard, or read online regardless of the truth regarding the situation. It is our responsibility as educators to teach our students to critical thinkers regarding the content they take in online. Skills that include checking multiple, reliable sources and identifying bias in post, both self-imposed and within the text.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Micah--Wile E. Coyote was also discussing the importance of confirming/validating information in their most recent post. I think it's an evergreen subject, but it's one that always seems particularly important during periods of intense political activity--like, oh I don't know, an election year. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micah, you make some great points! The quote, "The infographic might be cute but that doesn't mean that's what you should be thinking" really brings home the idea that we should think critically about and fact check the content we consume.

    ReplyDelete

Week 10 Post 3

Online Activism Lesson Reflecting on online activism in the classroom, I began searching for tools to help students understand the power it ...