Blogging 101
When I first read the requirments for the blog, I was concerned about how I would find a way to write 3 times a week, or more so what I was going to write about 3 times a week. To give myself a better understanding of how to format my blog or what a blog should look like I explored Youtube and found this helpful video: Blogging in Education
The video identifies that a blog is a logging of one's thoughts, ideas, experiences, and reflections. In essessence it is an expression of you. As an instructional designer, using a blog as an instructional tool provides:
- authenic learning opportunities
- global audiences
- engage in conversation
- support meaningful learning skills and experiences
In previous classes, I have participated in a formal, discussion based learning activity (DBLA) through Canvas discussion boards. In DBLA's you utilize formal language, set word count when writing, and specific topics/prompts each week. You are also only interacting with your peers from the class. Utilizing a blog, you get to participate in the a more creative process by choosing your format, writing style, and word count. Obviously, utilizing a blog in an educational setting requires expectations, but depending on the setting you are implementing this tool you can have very specific or generic expectations. For example, we must write 3 times minimum a week that connects to our learning. However, we do not have to write about a specific topic, on specific days and have a set word count. We are allowed to use our autonomy in deciding the focus, length, and language of our blog posts.
I am excited to see where this practice takes me and have noticed how it has already impacted my approach to coursework. I am consistently thinking of what to write about and what to explore in the Web 2.0 world next.
Hi Micah, I appreciate how you wrote about approaching this blog assignments. This helped me a lot! I also had the similar thoughts on what I should write 3 times weekly. As you mentioned, this is a very autonomous assignment and at the same time can be informal compared to Canvas discussions. What I have in mind right now is writing first blog on first few days of the week on the topic generally including some questions I have. Second post about my exploration on social media platforms. And final one answering the questions I had in my first post and reflecting on my experience interacting with others via blog or discussions!
ReplyDelete