Sunday, July 14, 2024

Week 9 Post 3

Let's Talk About It

I wanted to give my review of the communication tools presented this week, as I have engaged in almost all of them prior to this course. 

Slack
I have no previous experience with this app, however I spoke to my friends and family who have utilized it in their work life and the features it provides. Overall, they stated that Slack can enhance team collaboration when used effectively. They particularly like the organized channels feautures, especially those that work for bigger companies with many departments. A summary of the pros and cons they listed can be found below: 


Group Me
I have used Group Me during my time in undergrad as a member of a sorority, student government, and for cross-organization planning purposes. I was re-introduced to Group Me when I began my journey at FSU for grad school and embarked on the many group projects and collaboration opportunities the ISLT program presents. In my experience, it is great for casual group chats such as organizing a mixer or planning a group project, but would not be as effective in large team environments. Here is a summary of my pros and cons for the app: 


WhatsApp
I only began using WhatsApp when I started my graduate education at FSU. It is similar to GroupMe, however it provides better features, most of which you can find detailed in this article. My favorite featuers include the ability to react to messages with a variety of emojis and share different media types. I believe this app is best fit for personal communication or small teams, such as those formed during group projects. Here is a summary of my pros and cons for the app: 





2 comments:

  1. I have used all 3 for group chat purposes, and I personally prefer GroupMe the most. I really like that I do not have to put in my phone number for GroupMe. I have a friend that has used Slack for her job though and it was cool to see how they utilized the features on there for her company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for providing a brief explanation of each platform and comparing their pros and cons! I have used all three for different purposes and agree with you that Slack works best in the context of larger groups because it offers more diverse features. I think this is why I prefer logging into Slack on my laptop rather than my phone.

    ReplyDelete

Week 10 Post 3

Online Activism Lesson Reflecting on online activism in the classroom, I began searching for tools to help students understand the power it ...