Teacherstagram
As the social media manager for my school's online accounts I am no novice to using social media as a communication tool. However, I turned to Pinterest, Instagram, and Reddit for inspiration on other points of view. I came across this blog post called "Using Social Media in the Classroom!" She discusses how she uses Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook for classroom communication and ways she uses each tool. Just like me she uses social media to archive student learning and communicate with families throughout the year. I think the most important decision to consider is knowing:
- Who will be viewing this? Students, families, strangers?
- How will you communicate the use of this with families?
This Edutopia Youtube video "Using Instagram to Stay Connected with Students"
Micah, thanks so much for sharing this! It's really awesome to see a real-world example of a social media account that isn't primarily used for learning activities (such as assignments, etc.). Your approach to the account seems to provide a very powerful way for you to communicate with your students and to demonstrate your commitment to them--I imagine that really enhances all of the work you're doing in the classroom. In any case, thanks again for sharing this awesome glimpse of your work as a teacher!
ReplyDeleteHi Micah,
ReplyDeleteThis was a great resource and it was nice to learn about the tactics used to properly integrate these tools for education purposes. I can't imagine managing social media for a school being easy, considering all the things that have to be done. Its great that you have relied on your expertise and other sources to use social media for the school's needs.
Thanks for sharing! That point about strangers being in the audience is important — and nice to see how this can be done.
ReplyDelete